Legislative Sector Dialogue & Coordination Body
The Speakers' Forum of the 3rd Parliament approved a Sector Dialogue process which also forms part of the LSPSP funding agreement with the European Union. The intention of this process is to ensure consistent and continued dialogue on matters of importance to the Legislative Sector and its stakeholders.
In lieu of this the Sector Dialogue and Coordination Body has been established and is a consultative forum aimed at giving direction to the LSPSP programme and Sector planning, programmes and progress. The body consists of selected members of Speakers' Forum and the executive of SALSA and is chaired by Mr M V Sisulu, Chairperson of the Speakers' Forum and Speaker of the National Assembly, RSA Parliament.
The sector dialogue and coordination body is also a consultative forum to give direction to the SA Legislative Sector programme.
The role of the body is to:
- Serve as a forum for policy and sector dialogue.
- Deliberate on the legislative sector plans and implementation based on the Legislative Sector Policy and Strategic Framework.
- Ensure consultative participation of stakeholders and role players with the necessary knowledge and functional expertise that would add value to the sector dialogue process.
- Ensure participation and engagement with other parliamentary bodies that are involved with advancing parliamentary democracy internationally, continentally and regionally to strengthen partnerships with these bodies. (Such as the Southern African Development Community Parliamentary Forum, Pan-African Parliament, European Parliament, Inter-Parliamentary Union, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association and the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly)
The International Consultative Seminar forms part of the sector dialogue engagements between the South African Legislative Sector and European Union. It is a broad based consultative meeting in which SALS and the EU consult with other relevant bodies that share a common interest with SALS and the EU. The terms of reference identifies the EU Parliament, EU Member States, Parliaments in the region and the continent, parliamentary bodies, relevant civil society groups, and other non-state actors as possible participants in the meeting.
The members of the Sector Dialogue and Coordination Body are as follows:
SA Legislative Sector
From Speakers' Forum:
- Speaker: National Assembly - Mr M V Sisulu (Chairperson)
- Chairperson: National Council of Provinces - Mr M J Mahlangu
- Speaker: Gauteng Provincial Legislature - Ms L Maseko
- Speaker: KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Legislature - Ms N P Nkonyeni
- Speaker: Northern Cape Provincial Legislature - Mr J F Van Wyk
- Speaker: Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature - Mr S W Lubisi
- Secretary: Gauteng Provincial Legislature - Mr P Skosana
- Secretary: KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Legislature - Ms N Naidoo
- Secretary: North West Provincial Legislature - Ms M Gaoretelelwe
- Secretary: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa - Mr Z A Dingani (Accounting Officer: SALS)
- Deputy Secretary: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa - Mr M B Coetzee
Legislative Sector Support:
Executive Director: Legislative Sector Support - Ms S Schalk
European Union Delegation to South Africa
- Ambassador and Head of the EU Delegation to SA - His Excellency Mr R van de Geer
- First Counselor: Head of Development Cooperation - Mr R Young
- Head of Sector: Governance and Social Sectors - Mr C Larose
- Project Officer: Governance and Social Sectors - Dr J Muller
The South African Legislative Sector and the European Union have a partnership in the form of the Legislative Sector Policy Support Programme (LSPSP) which is based on a Sector Policy and Strategy owned and led by the South African Legislative Sector. Read more »
Tel: 021-403 8853/54/56
Fax: 021-403 3652